These monster mouths are perfect healthy Halloween treats and just use apples, strawberry jam, nut butter, and almonds / sunflower seeds. Naturally paleo, vegan, nut-free, grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1/4 cup (43 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (use Enjoy Life for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup (43 grams) white chocolate chips, melted1
- 36 toothpicks
- lemon juice
- 4 large apples
- natural peanut butter (I used this homemade peanut butter but you can use any kind of nut butter or Sun Butter)
- strawberry jam (I used this homemade honey sweetened strawberry jam)
- dried cranberries or other dried berries
- slivered almonds
- Place the toothpicks evenly on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper.
- Pipe a 1/2" - 3/4" circle of semi-sweet chocolate around the 1/4" - 1/2" top of the toothpick. Make sure that the chocolate is also going under the toothpick. I made sure of that by ever slightly pushing down the other end of the toothpick so that the top part of the toothpick, which you're piping onto and around, elevates just a little.
- Let the circles cool and firm up completely, about 1 hour. If you're in a hurry, place them in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Use Tip 10 (or whatever tip you like) to pipe a circle of white chocolate around the semi-sweet chocolate circles, making sure that the two types of chocolate overlap by at least 1/4". This makes the eyeballs easy to remove from the Silpat and much sturdier than if you just pipe the white chocolate next to the the semi-sweet chocolate. Let the circles cool and firm up completely, about 1 hour or place them in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Core the apples and cut into 4-5 pieces (it'll depend on the size of your apples). Try to cut them at such an angle that they stand easily on their own.
- Cut out a wedge for the mouth. Try not to have the bottom half of the wedge be at a downward angle so that the peanut butter doesn't seep out. Also try to make the wedge large enough so that you can easily add the teeth.
- Use a pastry brush or dip the backs and bottoms of the apples in the lemon juice. This is to prevent the apples from browning. There's no need to use lemon juice on the inside mouth part since that'll be covered up with peanut butter.
- Spread on a little bit of peanut butter.
- If you want to add strawberry jam do that now. You can also do it after adding the teeth but it's a little more difficult then.
- Toss in a dried cranberry.
- Use a sharp knife to stab the parts where you want to add the teeth. There's no need to dig a hole. This will be inserting the teeth easier.
- Insert the teeth on the bottom. Flip the mouth over, stab the parts where you want to add the teeth, and insert the teeth. Turn back over.
- Place the mouths on the serving plate.
- Gently remove the eyeballs from the Silpat. Insert them straight down into the mouths or in a way that supports the mouths and doesn't make them fall over.
- Serve! If using lemon juice, these stay at room temperature for at least 8 hours without browning.
Stay boo tiful